Monday, January 31, 2011

The real German Shepherd Herding Dog

In awe of the real German Shepherd herding dog!
In my attempt to do right with our new German Shepherd/Husky dog from the shelter and after observing her around the cows the other day, I could so see the herding instincts in her. She also exhibits much independence and shows little interest in learning "tricks". I see though that she could be happy herding, which might sound like a humanizing description, but it seemed she was happy. She seems to come to live in herding and guarding though that is not going to happen in her present circumstance - which is why I went back online in search of "work" ideas for her. I myself feel such an affinity for something quite indefinable here - and then I stumbled upon these pages which describe the German Shepherd herding dog - and I am in awe.

Times have changed - and dogs are raised for different reasons now - but this is amazing.
It seems that some of the lineage is being carried on on the Nickelsberg farm.

The Training of a German Shepherd Herding dog

The link below is an interview with Manfred Heyne - and it is totally worth it to read it all, especially the descriptions on how he selects the suitable puppies, the way they work together.

Priceless - Interview with Master German Shepherd Dog Trainer and Breeder Manfred Heyne

Nikko with the flock at Schloss Eisenbach – 1990    

No comments:

Post a Comment